Rules of Engagement
Some Useful Definitions
‘We’ and / or ‘Dark Rose Films’ means the directors of Dark Rose Films Ltd., or their appointees.
The ‘final product’ is the movie / mini-series that will be presented to film festivals, marketed and hopefully sold.
A 'unit' is a film-making group, as well as the group of scenes which a film making unit makes.
The 'shop' means the facility on our web site through which items (DVDs, merch., games, ...) are sold.
‘You’ means any collaborator generating movie / mini-series scenes, or fragments of scenes, or other assets, like games.
‘Successful candidates’ means the collaborators who produce material that Dark Rose Films uses in the final product.
This document is the definitive description of the project / competition. If other parts of the site appear to contradict this document, please let us know.
Dark Rose Films and its judging panel (to be appointed towards the end of 2019) is, and will remain, the final arbiter of the content used to comprise the Final Product, or sold in the shop.
We ask you to share (on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, whatever) info. about the project and about what you are doing for the competition, by providing a link to this site (click here put the address on your clipboard), but not by providing links to, or copies of, any assets. Please use the tag #projectmeu
- Dark Rose Films and its composer own and retain copyright on the Screenplay, Lyrics ans any other IP that we generate.
- You retain ownership of your own work (images, movie files, music, sound files, …) and give Dark Rose Films full rights to use those assets in creation of the Final Product.
- You will not share the work (movie fragments, recordings, trans-media products, games etc.) that you have undertaken for Project MEU with anyone other that Dark Rose until either:
- Rose and the judges decide that they cannot use your candidate media
- The project is over …
- The development of the project, that encompasses such as:
- Assets like the screenplay
- (Incidental music?)
- The post-production (editing, etc.) and finishing of the Final Product
- The marketing and distribution of the Final Product
You finance the production of the assets that you submit for consideration for integration into the final product.
- The post production house will incorporate your scenes into a fantasy, comic musical feature film / mini-series;
- You get in-film credits (Co-producer, Unit Director, Assistant Editor, etc);
- You get a 5% share in any possible 'producer’s pool' profits. Investors (e.g. A Post Production house) would get shares in the "Investors’ Pool". We don’t operate “Hollywood Accounting”, so, if we all pull together, hopefully there will be some profits.
- You get a share in any other possible profits, from related products, such as revenue from trans-media items e.g. related digital, or board games, or graphic novellas, etc.
- Two from each of the eight winning teams will be invited as free VIPs to the London premiere, where they will receive their award certificate.
- Each team will be given a DVD copy of the finished film.
- We will not take credit for your work
- We will do our best to get the film and associated product distributed and sold
- We will fairly distribute profits as indicated in the Rules of Engagement
- We cannot make use of your submissions unless they are based on the screenplay
- We cannot make use of your submission if the actors utter swear words, or blasphemies (for example "Jesus!" could be offensive to some). We aim for General, or Unrestricted certification, because failing to attain that rating reduces the market by at least 80%..
- We cannot make use of your submissions unless your actors look, sound, and behave as indicated in the Character list
- We cannot make use of your submissions unless they fulfill the requirements listed in Assets Which You Provide
- We cannot make use of your submissions unless they are submitted within the time frame specified in Order of Play